HIPAA Privacy Notice
Safeguarding Your Medical Information
Advocare, LLC is committed to ensuring that your medical information is private and secure. We protect medical information as required by state laws and the federal privacy rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Patients or their parents/legal guardians have certain privacy rights under HIPAA, including the right to:
- Look at or request a copy of you/your childs medical records
- Request a correction or a change of information you believe is inaccurate or incomplete
- File a complaint
Notice of Privacy Practices
Advocare, LLC maintains a Notice of Privacy Practices that describes the privacy rights of patients and the way we may use and share medical information. We provide a copy to all patients/families when they first receive services from Advocare. At that time, you will be asked to sign a form acknowledging that you received a copy of our Notice.
Use and Sharing of Information
In general, written authorization from the patient or parent/legal guardian is needed before information may be released by Advocare. In some cases, as described in our Notice of Privacy Practices we may use and share information for certain purpose without the written authorization of a patient/parent/legal guardian.
For example, we may:
- Use and share information with doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers to treat the patient
- Share information with health insurance companies to get paid for the services we provide
- Use information to review the quality of our services
- Share information with local health departments to report certain contagious diseases, such as Meningitis
- Share information with local authorities about suspected child abuse or neglect
- Share limited information with police in certain situations, such as if the patient was the victim of a crime.
We Do Not Sell Personal Protected Health Information to Anyone
We do not make any other disclosures of information to other companies which are not Affiliates and who may want to sell their products or services to you. For example, we will not sell your name to a catalog company. Companies we hire to provide support services are not allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes and are contractually obligated to maintain strict confidentiality. We limit their use of your personal information to the performance of the specific service we have requested.